One of the most popular destinations on the Dalmatian coast, Dubrovnik’s success was based on its long history of maritime trade. The Patron Saint of the city, Saint Blaise, is similar to St. Mark, Patron Saint of Venice. This hearkens back to the tie between the two cities under the Roman and Venetian empires. Dubrovnik was under Venetian rule from 1205-1358, and then was ruled by the Ottoman Empire. Dubrovnik contains many monuments and has a thriving “Old city” district.
Important landmarks, monuments, architecture:
- Old Town Dubrovnik
- Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary
- Holy Host Altar
- The Pillar where St. Mark’s relics were found
- Franciscan Church
Completed in the 14th century, the Church of St. Francis and its monastery have a largely Baroque appearance. The Franciscan order arrived in Dubrovnik in 1234. Running along the principal street in Dubrovnik, much of the church was destroyed by the great earthquake in 1667.
Here is the UNESCO World Heritage Site listing for the city of Dubrovnik
Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary
The Dubrovnik Cathedral was built on the site of former cathedrals, including buildings from the 6th, 10th and 11th centuries. The 12th century building was destroyed in the great earthquake of 1667. Over three decades, several Italian architects completed the cathedral in the Roman Baroque style. The cathedral’s Treasury holds hundreds of precious relics including the golden plated arm, leg and skull of the Patron Saint of Dubrovnik, Saint Blaise. The cathedral is characterized by its three high naves, apses and its Baroque dome.
Goldstein, Ivo. Croatia: A History, London: Hurst & Company, 1999.
Norwich, John Julius. Croatia: Aspects of Art, Architecture, and Cultural Heritage, London: Frances Lincoln Limited Publishers, 2009.